Monday, August 3, 2009

Fellow flyfishing lady Debbie Kraft

When I first started fishing, it was far and few between to find another fellow lady who enjoyed the heart-thumping-yeah-baby-please-don't-lose-this-fish feeling that I have every time I make a cast, set the hook and the fight is on. Watching the line float with the rhythm of the current, making a few mends, praying to the fish Gods that what I have on the end of my line is so utterly attractive that my targeted fish couldn't possibly resist! I would ask myself, "Why aren't there more women with this fever?" The winds however are changing as more of our guests are females. Not only do the ladies have the contagious fishing addiction, but they are frankly sometimes better than their partners who talked them into coming! It is rare to find a female guide in this industry, at Bear Trail Lodge we have two of the best that Bristol Bay has to offer. (Nancy Morris, who is also part owner, and Kate Taylor ). This year we have had an overwhelming response for women booking at the lodges. It makes me believe perhaps women who love sport fishing will no longer be a rarity but the norm. I can also say that our regular fishermen seem to enjoy that change too!

No comments:

Post a Comment