Monday, August 10, 2009

Heavyweight Champion of the World

Thirty inches or more, that's the mission. I don't mean to sound like I'm announcing the heavyweight champion of the world...but pound for pound the rainbow trout on the Kvichak and Naknek rivers are the most explosive freshwater fish on God's green earth. I realize there will be some dispute on this opinion. So I challenge you to come up during September and prove me wrong. We have many guests that have been coming to the Lodges year after year preparing themselves, "I have three days to get-r-done. This is my year!...I'm getting in that 30-inch club. Yes-sir-ee me and my guide will be on the 30-inch glory wall."

I've seen plenty of spankings by these magnificent beasts, slamming, ripping, line-possessing, frustrating chrome torpedoes. Exploding so fast that the line is into the backing in a matter of seconds, flying into the air in all their splendor and then bolting directly towards you like a bullet while feverishly trying to get the line back on the reel...only to discover "ping" its gone. Stunned, silent and opened mouth at exactly what "Just happened?"

Here Brian Kraft is explaining to Jim Bowles, Rick Fox and me that it takes a little more than ambition, skill and hope to get on this wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment